PHAP Online Briefing - Humanitarian Futures: Capacities for 21st century humanitarian organizations | Geneva Humanitarian Connector
PHAP Online Briefing - Humanitarian Futures: Capacities for 21st century humanitarian organizations
Time and Date12 Dec 2017, 15:00-16:15
ParticipationPublic: Upon registration
Remote participation possible
Event formatBriefing/ lecture/ panel discussion
The types, dimensions, and dynamics of humanitarian crises are increasing – in some instances exponentially. The challenge for those with humanitarian roles and responsibilities is to have the capacity to deal with ever increasing complexity and uncertainty. A starting point is to appreciate that much of the future will have decreasing links with the past, that planning from the future offers a far more creative way to prepare for dealing with plausible crisis threats of the future.
Taking aim at this challenge, recent work has helped create a new set of tools and resources for enhancing organizational and inter-organizational capability to assess the extent to which organizations’ current thinking and behaviour reflects truly anticipatory and adaptive capacities, embraces new approaches to innovation and innovative practices, and fosters new forms of collaboration and leadership that go well beyond the humanitarian norm.
Join us for the next PHAP Briefing on 12 December for an introduction to “strategic foresight” and to a new set of tools developed for this purpose. Hear from Randolph Kent and Joanne Burke, creators of the Humanitarian Futures Platform, and from Beris Gwynne, Incitare to learn more about the capacities that can help humanitarian organizations ensure that they are “fit” for the future.
Tuesday, 12 December 2017, 15:00 - 16:15 (Geneva time)
To see when the live session will take place in your time zone, click here.
Target audience and event access
This event is open to the public but should be of specific interest to those within humanitarian organizations concerned with longer-term strategic planning, decision-making, and organizational development. In order to join the event, please register in advance at phap.org/12dec2017-register
- M. Maietta, E. Kennedy & F. Bourse (Ed.), “The Future of Aid: INGOs in 2030”, IARAN, 2017
- R. Kent & S. Evans, “Humanitarian Futures,” in R. Mac Ginty & J.H. Peterson, The Routledge Companion to Humanitarian Action, Routledge, New York, 2015, pp. 387-402
- R. Kent, “Planning from the Future: An Emerging Agenda,” in International Review of the Red Cross, Vol.93, No. 884, December 2011, pp. 939-963
- Randolph Kent, Director, Humanitarian Futures Platform
- Joanne Burke, Project Consultant, Humanitarian Futures Platform
- Beris Gwynne, Director, Incitare
- Angharad Laing, Executive Director, PHAP
Geneva Humanitarian Connector
This event is made possible through the Geneva Humanitarian Connector, an initiative of PHAP supported by the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs.