The "nexus" explained: How and when do humanitarian, development, and peace action come together? | Geneva Humanitarian Connector
The "nexus" explained: How and when do humanitarian, development, and peace action come together?
Time and Date12 Apr 2018, 10:30-12:00
ParticipationPublic: Upon registration
Remote participation possible
Event formatBriefing/ lecture/ panel discussion
On 12 April, join us in the first session of the new learning stream on the humanitarian-development-peace nexus, jointly organized by ICVA and PHAP. The event will explore the concept of the "triple nexus" and how nexus thinking is influencing policy discussions at the local, country, and global level. More information coming soon.
Thursday, 12 April 2018, 10:30 - 12:00 (Geneva time)
To see when the live session will take place in your time zone, click here.
Target audience and event access
This event is relevant for anyone working in crisis response contexts seeking a stronger understanding of the humanitarian-development-peace nexus, but is particularly targeted to those working in international and national NGOs. The event is also open to the public. In order to join the event, please register in advance at phap.org/12apr2018-register
- Hugo Slim, "Nexus thinking in humanitarian policy: How does everything fit together on the ground?," Keynote address to the World Food Programme (WFP) Annual Partnership Consultations, 25 October 2017.
- ICVA, "The “New Way of Working” Examined: An ICVA Briefing Paper," International Council of Voluntary Agencies (ICVA), September 2017.
- ICVA & PHAP, Topic Five – The New Way of Working: What is it? What does it mean for NGOs?, ICVA-PHAP Learning Stream on Humanitarian Coordination, webinar recording on YouTube, 5 October 2017.
- O’Brien S., Rising humanitarian needs call for a new way of working, Portland Communication, March 2017.
- OCHA, “Commitment to Action: Transcending Humanitarian – Development Divides”, Agenda for Humanity, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), 2016.
- Report of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, “Repositioning the United Nations development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda: ensuring a better future for all.” General Assembly Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), July 2017.
To be announced soon
Executive Director, PHAP
Head of Policy, ICVA
Learning stream on humanitarian coordination
As part of the learning stream on the humanitarian-development-peace nexus, this event will be the first session of six live interactive online learning events that ICVA and PHAP will be organizing in the coming months. The purpose of these sessions is to provide NGOs and aid workers with a stronger understanding of the efforts to overcome the divide between the humanitarian, development, and – when appropriate – peace communities.
PHAP Credentialing Program
Understanding the Humanitarian Ecosystem